The ramblings, rants, and observations of an Orthodox Reactionary. Feel free to look around!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My life recently...

It's been awhile, so I guess I'll just fill in a little of what's been going on in my life since I last posted.

I've been doing the youth thing, with some success. I've started to try to get the kids to open up a bit during the lesson-- I also started opening with prayer, to try to get their minds to transition from breakfast to the class. I asked Dr. Durst (who is one of our interim pastors while Dr. Wineland is away in Jordan) for his advice, and am trying to add some application in at the end of the lesson. These kids don't really have a Biblical foundation-- which worries me, since I know you need one to get through high school-- and one of the kids is going to Morehead in a month.
I'm taking the youth group to see a movie next Monday evening.

Saw Transformers 2; thinking about maybe doing a review.

My roommate got a ministry job up in Ohio, and he's gonna be gone by the middle of next month. I'll stay in his place, and likely sign a new lease. I haven't found a roommate, though I told Gentleman (codenames are so much fun) that he is more than welcome to stay in my place. I've known Gentleman for about 3-4 years now, though he's since graduated from KCU. He's quiet, smart, a little nerdy- when I roomed with Mikhail Gentleman served as our RA. He has an interest in staying around these parts because his girlfriend hasn't yet graduated. I told him I could almost cover my rent- not quite a lie, but slightly untrue- and therefore wouldn't mind having him around. He told me it might happen if he could find a job around here.

The new GI bill will give me Housing allowance while I'm going to school- much the same as if I was deployed. The difference here is that when I was deployed, my BAH reflected my pay-grade, E-4. While I'm enrolled, I will recieve BAH equal to an E-5 with dependents. In other words, I'll have around an extra fifty dollars a month that will go straight into my pocket.

I've been looking for a job, and with security guard and Wal-Mart ruled out, I began looking at hotles. My plan is for a third shift job where I have time to sit and do some schoolwork. Hotel front desks(according to my roommate, who did that exact thing) are perfect for this. Show up at midnight, prep for the next day, check-in and check-out the "quickie" rush around 1-2am, and generally STAY AWAKE. That's the biggie. The bosses usually don't care what you do, so long as you don't fall asleep at the desk.

So I took out a bunch of applications- except for one, which was only a page long single side, which I filled out right there at the Holiday Inn- on Friday. Tuesday, I got a phone call from the Holiday Inn. They wanted an interview that day at 3pm. So I dressed, showered, ate, and went to the interview. Guess what they were hiring for? Third shift. I'm really hoping this pans out, but just in case I'm filling out the other apps and leaving them on my 'desk'.

I've got a really good friend that I haven't been talking to. The situation is a bit complicated, but I'm really trying to stay strong. We talked for about a week or so in June, then back to nothing. She expressed interest in going to church with me (which Mikhail and I both thought was odd, seeing as she wanted to avoid personal contact) but then wouldn't return my texts about church. I assume she either wants to be left alone, or is busy, or I pissed her off somehow. So I decided I would wait a literal month and a half before trying again. I even marked August 27 on my calendar. Until August 27, barring some huge earth-shattering circumstance (such as SHTF) I will make no attmept to contact her. The last thing I want to do is to make her angrier by trying to get in touch with her. (I've noticed she and I have opposite reactions to bad news or bad occurences in our lives. "Fight or Flight." I fight, and she... flights? Bad grammar, but I think you get the point.)

I've noticed I'm rambling, so I'll let this go. Later.

PS. Is it just me, or do I update this thing in spurts? It must take a month for there to be anything interesting to write about in my life, I guess.

+++AWESOME QUOTE+++
"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue -- and thoroughly immoral -- doctrine that `violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms." - Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers(1959)

No comments: